First Review of Applications: May 21, 2018
Your completed application to the On Being a Spiritual Nurturer program will comprise:
1. Cover Sheet (personal information)
2. Responses to the questions below (parts A and B)
3. Application Fee ($45)
4. Recommendations (2)
Your application may be submitted electronically (preferred method) or by regular mail. Details follow below.
Electronic Submission of Application
Responses: create a document with your responses and e-mail that document as an attachment to email@example.com.
Recommendations: the Cover Sheet asks for the contact information of two persons who will provide recommendations to support your application. We request that these persons address specific areas in their recommendation of you:
1. Your readiness and aptitude for this program;
2. Your emotional and spiritual maturity;
3. Your preparation to enter this program; and
4. Your new areas of growth as well as your demonstrated gifts.
One of the 2 persons providing a recommendation should be a member of your home Meeting or Church.
Submission by Regular Mail
Submission of your complete application by May 21, 2018,
(including recommendations by May 28, 2018)
will ensure consideration in the first review of all applications.
Please respond to the following questions. We recommend that you copy and paste these questions into your document.
A. Write a summary (4-6 pages) of your experience with spiritual nurture ministry. Reflect on how you have been drawn toward or clearly discerned a call to spiritual nurture and its study. We seek to understand how this call has risen out of your personal faith, faith community, life experience, education, and training. We encourage you to offer stories that describe your explorations, wrestling, insights, and lessons learned. Please include your experience of desiring, seeking or receiving support concerning this call.
B. Respond succinctly but fully in writing to the following discernment questions. These questions are meant for your own discernment as well as to assist us in the admissions process.
1. Describe your ability to listen for and recognize spiritual committed journeys in whatever form they may appear.
2. Describe your response to and level of comfort with the Christian grounding of Quakerism and with Christ-centered language.
3. What personal needs demand a major part of your attention at this time? (e.g., recent loss, emotional or health issues, financial or family pressures, professional demands, opportunities for service in your meeting/church and beyond)
4. Describe how you will make the time available in your life to commit to all that this program calls for? (daily prayer, attendance at all the residencies, reading up to 100 pages per month, preparing four projects, and monthly meetings with a Care Committee)
5. Have you persons in mind who might serve on your Care Committee? What challenges, if any, do you anticipate in forming and having a Care Committee?
6. How will you pay for this program? (We encourage you to seek assistance from your meeting, yearly meeting, and other sources; SotS scholarships are available for applicants who have been accepted.)
7. The days of the residencies, while grounded in a contemplative rhythm including a break for rest, are full and require focus and stamina. For your safety and health, are there any limitations that might affect your participation this program? (See the sample daily schedule in the Program Guide.)
8. What other questions, if any, have arisen in your discernment process for undertaking this program?